Math Journal Sundays

18 December 2011
Only one more week until Christmas!!!  And that's about all I'm going to say about it, because if I really stop to think about how close it is, the panic WILL set in ...

photo of Types of graphs math journal entry @ Runde's Room
So instead, I'm going to focus on my newest addition to our math journals.  We are deep into our Data Management unit, and I'm desperately trying to finish the unit before our break starts on Friday ... (OK - now I've done it, the panic is starting ... breathe deeply).  We've had a lot of fun with this unit, and I've been trying to incorporate a lot more three-part lessons and Bansho presentations into this unit - with some good success, might I add.  Stay tuned for an upcoming post (I'm hoping this week if I can keep the panic at bay) on my three-part math lessons and Bansho presentations. Anyhow, we did this little foldable this week.  The four main graphs we focus on are:  bar graphs, line graphs (broken and continuous), scatter plot graphs, and circle graphs.  For this foldable, we folded our paper into thirds, and cut the bottom and top third into four equal strips.  We wrote the four graph names on the top of each strip.


photo of Types of graphs math journal entry @ Runde's Room



Underneath the first flap, we then wrote what each graph is best used for.  For example:  "Bar graphs are used to show amounts or the number of times a value occurs.  They make it easy to see the differences in the data compared."

I think this little reference will really help my students when they have to justify why they have chosen a particular graph to display their data.






photo of Types of graphs math journal entry @ Runde's Room

Underneath that, we drew a quick example of what each graph looks like.

I think this is my favourite foldable so far ...





Happy Sunday!!!  I've got a busy one planned - my nephew's third birthday party, finishing the props for our school Christmas Concert on Wednesday (of course, I volunteered to create and direct that - with all my spare time, you know ;)  ), still trying to finish my ribbon Christmas Tree PJs (see below post - pleased to announce I only have 1/2 of one shirt to go), get some more present wrapping in (ran out of wrapping paper and tape), and do a craft of some sort with my girls ... YIKES!  (Breathe deeply).  Here's hoping the hubby takes over the laundry duty for the day ... fingers crossed.




7 comments

  1. Hi Jen:
    One of my (853) goals during break is to get my math journals going again. Your posts always inspire me! (You could come and tutor me/them... We like company!)
    I am going to need a longer day to do everything I have planned--during vacation AND back at school.
    BTW, I referred some poster who made a ribbon tree card to your ribbon PJ post! (Is that the sign of someone who blogs too much?!)

    Have a HAPPY day, Jen...

    Kim
    Finding JOY in 6th Grade

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are doing the same unit right now! I am also trying to finish before break but fear it won't happen. Thanks for sharing! We will be doing this tomorrow. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow! I'm like the different take on this foldable...
    and if it makes you feel any better, we have school until Tuesday, so you're not alone in having to work still..lol
    Jen Ross
    The Teachers’ Cauldron

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great foldable Jen! I love the way you use the Math journal!
    Enjoy the break!

    Happy Holidays!

    ❤ Mor Zrihen ❤
    A Teacher's Treasure

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great foldable for my 5th graders. One of the most difficult things for them is deciding which type of graph to use!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so stoked that I came across your page. I have been teacher Gr.2/3 for a number of years and just got transferred in June and will be teaching Grade6 in the fall. I have purchased a few of your items!! I have two questions about your math journals. How often do you do them? Since you have a lot of thing folded and glued in them, what type of notebook(s) do you find the most durable for them? I wasn't sure which type to start them on??

    Thanks,
    Vanessa Rann

    ReplyDelete
  7. What is the difference between What I learned and Reflection?

    ReplyDelete